Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Trip to Ambergris Caye

Well, it seems my "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" days are over.

When I was dropped off at the airstrip 15 minutes from Chan Chich Lodge, my jaw dropped. The 10-seater plane I was expecting to see, was, in fact, a two-seater plane. That's right, just me and the captain. I have a serious fear of heights, but I'll do almost anything once, especially if I don't really have any other options. After takeoff, all went pretty well, and I think I got some decent photos, but after a while, I realized that there was a huge knot in my stomach and tightness in my chest. I don't think I was consciously thinking about how high we were, but the background visual was too much to ignore.

Flying into Ambergris Caye was amazing. So, so, so beautiful from the air. I took a taxi from the airport to the hotel, and slowly realized that my "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" moment was over once I was reminded that this is a third-world country. Beaten up shacks and trash-lined streets show the poverty that exists, but the water is still beautiful.

And my new digs south of San Pedro are more what I am accustomed to. It's a cheap hotel (without actually being that cheap), with cheezed-out decor. It makes me miss Chan Chich though. I've had a taste of the good life. I get suddenly depressed and realize that the depression is a physical reaction to the stress of the plane ride. Then I pass out for almost 4 hours.

1 comment:

  1. and this airplane story is just insane. and hysterical!! i wish i could have been invisible next to you to see your reaction.

    ReplyDelete