Monday, December 22, 2008

Chan Chich

I normally travel "dirt cheap." That is not the case this time around. This is because:

  1. I have been so desperate for a vacation that I would do almost anything for it.
  2. I have been so "f-ed" up (burned out) this year that finding/taking the time to actually plan said vacation ahead of time so that it would be priced in a "reasonable" way was near impossible.
  3. I am just a procrastinator.
  4. Belize is not really as cheap as other Central American countries.
I guess my point is that despite my normal budget traveler tendencies, I ended up going first to Chan Chich Lodge, which was like luxury in the middle of the jungle. A place for honeymooners and old people. And birders. And now me. It was A-mazing. Un-believeable.

It was not hot like one would imagine. It was warm in the daytime, and almost cool in the evening. But always a little humid.

Part II

Walking around in the jungle, I was able to see a few peccaries, tarantulas, spider monkeys, howler monkeys, and lots of birds. Other people also saw jaguars, ocelots, and margays. Very cool.

On my last night there, I went on a night walk with a guide into the jungle. It was almost as creepy as it sounds, mostly out of fear of stepping on the very venemous fer-de-lance. Luckily none was spotted. We did see a kinkajou though!

No comments:

Post a Comment