Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The People

I'm still getting caught up here.

One thing I forgot to mention is how nice people are here. Very open and friendly. My flight from Miami to Belize City put me next to an older, black Londoner who grew up in Belize, and who's father was friends with the prime minister of Belize. So all the old people in his neighborhood know him whenever he comes to visit. So now I have a new friend in London.

Today, while walking downtown, I ended up talking to an old Belizean shopkeeper for about half an hour. Ricardo. Ricardo was hilarious because he kept on asking me questions like "if you dig down into the earth will you actually make it to the other side? Is that true?" and "hey, I heard that it gets hotter as you go down into the earth, is that true?" I reply that "yes, there is a hot, moulton core in the center of the earth, so yeah, that's true." He seemed to be shocked by that. Then he says "don't you think about how weird it is that the world is full of dead people?" I tell him that I don't follow. Then he explains that he means all of the buried dead people in the world take up a lot of space. Ricardo was not kidding with any of this.

3 comments:

  1. SO funny. i am really laughing here aldahl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good! I am glad, because I don't think I was feeling very funny when I wrote it. But that makes me feel good. He was a trip. But nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes i think about the dead people too.

    ReplyDelete