Friday, December 26, 2008

The Manatee OR the Sea Cow

Lovely, lovely creatures, the manatees are. I got to see about 5 of them today, about an hour boat ride away from Ambergris Caye. They have to come up for air at some point or another, so they poke their little noses up for air, and you get to see their whiskers, and sometimes their tails. The guides were calling them "smiling potatoes." Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera today because I thought we'd be in the water the whole time.

We also got to have a picnic on a tiny island (about 80-90 yards across?) with about 4 palm trees on it. It was UN-believeable! It was the most perfect island with the most perfect white-sand beach(es). The kind you see in a slick travel ad. With aqua-blue, 85 degree water. Nice. Pret-ty, pret-ty, pret-ty nice.

Our last snorkeling stop was at a place called shark-ray alley. And yes, we got to swim with many, many stingrays, and pet them. I didn't spot a shark, which is ok at this point. I got to swim with sharks in Tahiti 10 years ago, and I think that was enough of sharks for me.

(To be continued, as it is FREEZING in here!)

No comments:

Post a Comment